Friday, December 26, 2008

Funerals

In my lifetime I think I have been to about 10 funerals. That's a lot for someone my age! I don't really get sad at most funerals, instead I look at it more as a part of life that I can learn from. I suppose that's because most funerals I have been to I didn't know the person very well. Anyway, I went to a funeral on monday, and it was my favorite one that I have ever been to.

It was for a my friend's grandma, and even though I have known her pretty much all my life, I didn't know her very well. But I learned how amazing she was and is! Wow! in that 1-2 hours during that funeral, I gained another role model. This is what I learned from her life:

1. Let your sense of right and wrong guide you, no matter what. When someone important to you is doing something wrong, speak up. Let them know gently and firmly what they are doing wrong, and then respect them and let them live their lives.
2. Learn to cook. Especially learn to make cakes. Cakes make people happy, and if you can make a personalized one for someone's birthday, they will remember that.
3. Make gifts for people that make them feel special. Mini used her sewing abilities to help a lot of little girls feel special. I would like to do that someday.
4. Be hospitable. Make your home a place where people can feel welcome, happy, and safe. Don't apologize if you house isn't perfectly clean, instead, focus on your guest being there. Don't make your guest feel like a nuisance, and don't show off how great you home is, even if it is amazing.
5. If other people are lonely and in need, they should have a spot in your family and prayers. Mini was always able to include others.
6.Learn to be excited and celebrate special occasions. Don't stress, just celebrate.

After the funeral we went to the grave site, which was up on a hill overlooking the valley. It was a beautiful view, and it was softly snowing. All the men wore handsome black coats, and the whole group was under a clump of navy blue umbrellas. Mini's grandson played amazing grace on the bagpipes for the dedication of the grave. It felt just like a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment