Thursday, April 22, 2010

Convincing The Escapist

Well, it's that time of semester again, the time during which I have had all the life and reality I can handle. I believe I wrote a post this time last semester: http://brynnella.blogspot.com/2009/11/escapist-desires-escape.html
The Escapist is crying out for some attention, and though she's been getting a little, I've only delivered a half-hearted attempt of escape be watching garbage youtube videos and buying some ice-cream. Pretty much, Anti-Escapist procedures. (and by Anti I mean my understanding of the biblical definition, that is, a mimicked version of something that delivers opposite results.)

As usual, it's the overload of learning too many things too fast about my full-fledged adult future, the loss of hope for a place in my world for fantasy and play, the stress of registering for classes and figuring out how I'm going to graduate, and that intense change looming in my future.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for the future, but The Escapist resists. And why wouldn't it? "They" say when you grow up, you can't just randomly be involved in exciting things. You have to stay at your house and take care of your home and family. Your life is restricted by responsibility and other weird stuff.

But if there is anything I've learned this semester, listening to what They say only brings fear, doubt, and hopelessness. Why do they say such negative things anyway? Who gave Them the right to pronounce that my life can't be a fairytale, the the paths I choose won't bring me happiness? The Man Upstairs didn't tell me that, so why should They? They don't even know what makes me happy!

So, I (with lots of help from The Escapist) will just have to disprove what They say. Who wants to listen to those Negative Nancies anyway?

1 comment:

  1. The part that gets me, is who are They? ? No one died and made Them king of anything. Where the **** do They come from?

    ReplyDelete