Thursday, October 9, 2008

mechanics and art.

This entry is probably going to sound...a little argumentative and maybe a little self-righteous.
Oh well.

I am sitting here procrastinating english homework. I just don't like Intermediate writing. Anyway, I have a pressing issue on my mind that I just have to make an argument about! And, that is: know-it-alls!

I just can't stand them. For example...people that study and know the all the mechanics about things like music or art..yet they don't do either of these things. Then they proceed to lecture me about it...the person who actually has experience in music or art. There are some things you just can't know about unless you have hands-on experience and talent for them. For example, there are a lot of songs I have played on piano that, if you haven't gained a sense of rhythm and timing from experience, you probably couldn't make it sound good. The First Arabesque by Debussy feature this beautiful theme with a 2 against 3 timing. When i was learning this, my teacher said the best way I could do it is just to practice over and over again and not think about how i am supposed to count it. I just had to let my senses do the work for me. That is just something you have to learn from practice and not thinking about it too hard. I tell my students this all the time. You just gotta let it settle in on it's own. And sometimes you just have to listen to another's perspective (someone who has also had a lot of experience). If I have learned anything from teaching, that is it. Once I started teaching piano I realized how glad I am to have had good teachers! And now I wish I was still being taught piano.

Art is another thing that I don't understand how people just learn the mechanics to do it...but then again, maybe that's why i am not going to be an art major. I dunno...when I do art, at first I focus on the step by step process, but then my right brain takes over and before you know it, I am hardly aware of my surroundings and I start working really fast. And then I get all hyper and start yelling random stuff...how embarrassing. I stopped drawing a lot in church because one sunday I almost lost control. That would've been bad. Hahaha I think the only person that really knows what I am talking about is Zach on this one...we sat across the table from each other in art class for almost 2 years...and I would always end up really loud and by the last third of class I couldn't even draw anymore because I was so riled up! I would end up making up the wierdest jokes.

Wow, so i don't think I have made my arguments about...what was it? Oh, Smart-aleks! Yeah! Some people always act like such an authority on everything! It sucks! Really...how can you know that much about every little random thing? And another thing that bothers me is when people try too beef up obvious statments with terms and lingo that isn't really needed. bleh. And, I don't need advice on every subject! I learned how to make my owns decisions starting when I was 5! It's a standard part of a child's development, and trust me, that part of my development was not botched up.

In other news, I am really enjoying the people in my classes. There is a girl in Astronomy that has the same shopping tastes as me. Mike and Garret are both friends I already knew before this semster that make math great. Actually, i am really enjoying math! I actually get it and my teacher is hilarious! And the students in classes below college algebra are always so funny and nice. My whole Jewelry Making class is becoming it's own support group (because we are all accidently melting our pieces of silver and such). My classmates in english are awesome. It's just too bad the class isn't.

Well, this has been an erratic post. But it feels good to get that all out.

1 comment:

  1. My most-hated know-it-alls are the fighters. They are always purporting that their particular style of fighting is "the one true way" or "the most period way" or "the most effective" or whatever, and on top of that they have to claim that all other ways of fighting are for pansies, or they are just a form of art to look pretty and they're not useful, or that only people who don't know how to fight try to fight in those other ways. It's completely stupid! Having rules and formal ways of fighting are great when the fighting is a sport, but if you actually get into a fight where your life or health depends on it, it doesn't matter what rules you're following or if you're following rules at all. You do what you have to in order to save yourself. It's that simple! Why do they have to be all pretentious about it?

    Same thing with katanas vs. European swords . . . they are equally useful, they just work differently and have to be used differently. Difference does not necessitate that one is "better" than the other but oh those stupid fanboys, constantly arguing that their sword of choice is "better" than the other type. (Dude, just give me a crossbow and then they will see. Because they will both be dead. Without ever seeing the person who killed them. That beats a sword any day.)

    Know-it-alls are retarded.

    ReplyDelete