Sunday, March 15, 2009

I am turning into a sunbeam. It's a bit ironic.

Today was a crazy, yet really fun, day at church.

My sunbeams lesson was kindof insane. I was really excited for it, because it was full of really different and fun activites. But, the sunbeams were very very talkative today, so i hardly even got through it. It was kindof disappointing.

However, sharing and singing time were much more fun than usual! I don't know why. It was just a lot more enjoyable.

The lesson today required the kids to try an apple (we talked about plants and how they benefit our lives), so i cut one up and brought the pieces. Somehow I ended up with extras, which I ate right before sacrament meeting. This apple was really sweet and yummy. Seriously, it tasted like it had already been dipped in caramel! Yum!

In sacrament meeting, the family of of one of my sunbeams sat on the the row I was on. And they brought cousins! That was the best. I handed out some extra stickers that we had used in primary class. In return, I was entertained by the really awesome pictures made. The 2 little boys that were next to me were using the pine tree stickers as rockets in thier picture! It was awesome! They also drew a rocket that had a trail of every color of fire behind it. This was cool, because it wasn't like "oh haha how cute, they are drawing colorful fire" but they actaully knew about the different colors of fire and explained as they drew that the blue fire was really hot, and the red was the least hot, and so on. I was impressed! They are only about 6 or 7 years old! After drawing the rocket, they proceeded to draw a blue jupiter, saturn, and sun. ("wow a blue sun is really hot!" said one) They asked me if a blue sun really exists (I was explaining to them a few astronomy facts as they drew) and I told them I hadn't heard of one. So now I am wondering if there are any. Does anyone know?

On the other side of the paper, the cousin drew a jedi (Luke Skywalker, acutally) (oh and he had a Jedi figurine with him :-} ) And as he drew that, he and the other boy mused on whether lightsabers are made of light or fire. I am not really sure what they are made of, but i think I heard that they are made of some hot, light emmiting element (a gas maybe? How come i don't know this?), so I told them that. Which included explaining what element means. hahahaha.

After that, they went back to the other side of the paper where the rocket and planets were, and drew a "pirate X" (as in x marks the spot). Then they drew a treasure chest exploding. I heard once that boys tend to draw events, as they are happening (like acting it out with a pencil) and girls tend to draw portraits of a scene (what people usually think of as a drawing). Watching them draw this teasure chest exploding was proof that this theory is true. They made the sounds effects for the explosion and everything. hahaha it made me laugh!

Right after sacrament meeting I was assigned to hold a little baby as the mother (the cousins mother) went to go change a nasty diaper of another little cousin. This baby was sooo cute. And knowing me, to really like a baby is something, because I usually just don't bond with that young of a crowd. (but I am improving a lot in that area) I am really glad i got to hold it, because she was so cheerful! If you just looked into her eyes and smiled she would smile and laugh.

So, basically, I am becoming like an older sister to most of the kids in my ward. They are so fun to talk to, really kind, and draw really cool pictures. I've finally found a place where I truly fit. :)

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I teach the Valiant 10 and I had a rough day too. The boys were so rowdy and I have an awful cold and I had to the lesson in Sharing Time too.

    ReplyDelete