Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Being Sick

So I have been sick for the past couple weeks, and it has sucked. Especially this past weekend, where i couldn't stop coughing and had a fever. Bleh. But now I am almost better, so I thought I would write down a bunch of the remedies I used and how they worked for me.

1. Ny Quil- I used this 3 nights in a row. The first night was great, even though it wore off a half hour before it was time for the next dosage. But I slept well when it was in my system. The second night it wore off sooner, and i didn't bother taking a second dosage. The third night, it did nothing. No sleepyness, no pain relief, no cough suppression. So I guess you shouldn't take it too much in a row or your body will become immune to it.
2. Tussin DM-This is basically just standard cough syrup. It kinda worked.
3. Herba Tussin-This was an herbal tea that I found to be pretty helpful. It doesn't taste bad and it felt really good on my throat. It wasn't always strong enough, but I don't think much would be for the throat problems I had.
4. Cough Drops-I got some cough drops that are supposed to numb your throat. They worked, but once it was fully dissolved, the effect went away pretty quickly.
5. Sucrets Ice- Awesome stuff. Felt sooo good and the effect lasted a little longer than cough drops. They also can be safely taken every two hours, unlike the aforementioned numbing cough drops.
6. Throat Coat herbal tea- I always stand by this stuff. It feels awesome and tastes really good.
7. Hot lemon Jello-It sounds wierd, but you just take some lemon jello powder and put it on hot water and drink it. My friend told me to do it. It actually felt great and tasted better than many options.
8. Gargling warm salty water-this is supposed to soothe your throat. It's worked on me before, but not so much this time. Again, I think what i had was just too severe.
9. Honey and Lemon Juice with warm water-This is also supposed to soothe your throat. It didn't worked for me, but other people swear by it.

If you have a really severe cough like i did, you really should go to the doctor. Coughs of course aren't serious and people usually get over them in a week or so, which means that most people don't go to the doctor for it. But! I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for cough syrup that really works! I have improved so much since taking this stuff. Also, remember to drink lots of water (not just liquids) because water dilutes your mucus, making it easier to get out of your system.

1 comment:

  1. Gargling the salt water atually uses osmosis to draw the bacteria, dead cells, etc., out of your throat, which you then spit out when you spit out the salt water. I've found it works well in extreme situations if I use a high concentration of salt in warm water (enough salt to make it sort of burn my throat, like when you get salt on a cut), and do it several times a day. Like at least 3 times.

    ReplyDelete