Thursday, February 12, 2009

My happy place.

Every time I go to the Planetarium, my mood is completely elevated past the stars and into nerd heaven.  Something about going and escaping into something educational and fun completely changes how I feel.  It's amazing!

Lately, I have been feeling pretty down, probably due to winter depression, but tonight I went to the Planetarium to preview the new movie Under the Sea. By the time the movie was over, I was back to appreciating the fact that i am alive. By the time I was out of the gift shop, I was quite cheerful! I remember my psychology teacher said that everyone should find one thing that seems to cheer them up no matter what. Then, when you are feeling down, you can try that one thing. If it doesn't cheer you up, you know it's time to seek help. I am starting to think that the planetarium is the thing that always cheers me up.

This preview was really cool, because only planetarium members were invited, so everyone there was like me; someone that enjoys learning about biology and the earth and animals. It was really neat because before the movie, an expert came and talked about the biodiversity of the coral triangle (the area around Papua New Guinea and the Philippines) and the bacteria found on Sea Squirts in that area. It turns out that some of the Strains of these bacteria produce substances that can be used in pharmaceutical drugs.  These bacteria can produce new chronic pain relievers, and fight against tuberculosis and maybe even cancer!

As for the new Under the Sea movie, I highly recommend it. It might get a little "propaganda-ish" on the subject of global warming, but it's not overwhelming and the are many amazing sights to see and facts to learn in this movie.  Sea life is sooo beautiful.  I would really love to go scuba diving someday.  

In other news, I helped out at the primary activity today. I was the caller for bingo. hehehe. I love Primary. I feel like I can't say it enough.  There were lots of perks too. Such as a soon-to-be-decorated door hanger? Oh yeah. And a free cookie. 

And last but not least, I wore my Kermanian Monster fur leg warmers AND my colorful heart tights today, which gave me an instant dosage of happiness as soon as I put them on.  I love my monster fur leg warmers. I should make more, in bright colors.

4 comments:

  1. One time at a museum there was this room that was like being in space. It was a smallish dark room with stars all over the walls. I'm not sure how they did it but it really did look like space. It was like the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...good insight from reading this :) The planetarium does give a great feeling of actually doing something worthwhile and having fun doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what museum you are talking about! Every time I go there I go through that room like 8 times and just stand there, pretetending that I am in space. Maybe someday I will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly I want a room like that in my house when I grow up. It will be the best room ever! (Also the best make-out room ever)

    ReplyDelete